Audience, Questions, Speaking, Observe, Ask
172 Learning About Your Audience in Advance – Aimee Barr
You cannot serve and connect with your audience without first knowing them. Today’s guest shares practical, actionable strategies for uncovering information about your audience that will help you motivate, inspire, and encourage them.
Aimee Barr, LCSW is a psychotherapist with private practices in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and Union Square, Manhattan. Her practice specializes in supporting adults navigate their toughest life transitions such as career changes, divorces ,and break-ups. She has a Master’s Degree in Social Work from Fordham University and a Post-Master’s Certificate from The National Institute of the Psychotherapies (NIP).
She has spent many years as a sexual assault response team volunteer and is currently a board member of ARISE foundation, which is a charity based in New York City and London. It is founded on the belief that more should be done to support grass-roots anti-slavery networks. When she is not seeing clients, she works on employing mindfulness and self-acceptance in her own everyday life. She has been featured in The Huffington Post, Well + Good, Monster, and is a frequent lecturer at Fordham University.
- Aimee’s main goal in working with clients, and who her primary audience is.
- The importance of having a clear objective, and how you are going to get it.
- How Aimee learns about her audience at Fordham University.
- Why it’s important to know your audience.
- What Aimee wants from her audience right now.
- How Aimee goes about getting her objective (awareness): ask, observe, investigate.
- A time when Aimee gave a talk but did not know her audience, and what she would do differently now.
- Aimee’s action words for speaking: inspire, motivate, encourage.
Click to Tweet
- Because we are all different, we need to really know what motives and #inspires our #audience. @aimeebarrlcsw
- If we are aware of who we are, we know what our #strengths are, and what barriers we have. @aimeebarrlcsw #speaking
- I really want people to live life for themselves, but in order to do that, they have to know who they are. @aimeebarrlcsw #awareness