Personal, Vulnerability, Storytelling, Storyteller
You remember, relate, and identify with people more than an idea.
That’s why speakers who share their personal stories in relationship to an idea massively increase the potential for a deep, rich, and memorable audience connection.
When Darieth Chisolm took on an “unspoken problem” through her own experience with revenge port and cyber harassment it connected with people around the world in multiple mediums. Darieth combines her speaking skills with a personal challenge to produce a major TEDx Talk, independent film, and book as part of her prodigious speaking, writing, and coaching platform.
Drop in with Tricia Brouk and Darieth Chisolm for a robust discussion on the importance of using personal stories to change others lives and our society.
As a multiple time Emmy Award winning TV host, former NBC News Anchor, respected business and visibility Coach, Darieth Chisolm uses her platform to inspire women to turn their “mess into their message” by leveraging the art and business of public speaking and storytelling. Darieth directed and produced the harrowing social justice documentary 50 Shades of Silence based on her personal story of betrayal and revenge at the hands of a jilted ex-boyfriend. The Indie film has won multiple awards at film festivals throughout the USA. Darieth is the author of Hustle! Why Now is the Time to Unleash your Passions , and is a contributing writer for Inspiring Lives and Woman of More magazines. She has toured internationally speaking on over 500 stages and diverse platforms such as the World Woman Summit, the Metrowest Conference for Women and several TEDx stages. Her TED.com talk on revenge porn and cyber harassment has been translated into 17 different languages and has been viewed nearly 1.8 million times.
- Story as the medium in which we learn and make changes in our world.
- Cultural changes are fueled by people sharing personal stories which lead to hard personal and social conversations. The more people who share their stories with urgency and calm the more others feel safe to share their stories.
- 9:10 Four key techniques to make an impacting and urgent talk.
- Word choice matters—using a single word can drive a point deeply into the audience’s experience and memory.
- 3 Key Attitudes for responsible and growing speakers.
- Alignment of internal truth with our talks, from personal one-to-one conversation to the biggest of stages, creates trust and takes work. Rest with the question, “Is this true?” to explore what you really think and believe.
- Darieth’s preparation to deliver a TEDx Talk where personal vulnerability created a singularly unique and powerful message.
- The current and near future for speaking and gatherings in the USA.
- Pointers for speaking on the screen. (Most important pointer: Don’t be afraid—go do it!)
Click to Tweet