On today’s show, I am sharing with you my amazing conversation with Elizabeth Wellington — a writer, reporter, agitator and lifestyle columnist with The Philadelphia Inquirer.
As a journalist, she writes about everything from gender and race to fashion, culture and wellness. She shares her personal take on the way we live and how we style our lives.
I asked Elizabeth to be on the podcast and intentionally interrupted our normal release schedule to bring it to you as soon as possible because I knew this was a conversation that would resonate.
Elizabeth, a fellow New Yorker, who was born and raised in the city — although, she now calls Philadelphia home. In our conversation, she shares that her desire to become a writer began here in NYC at the age of seven and has only blossomed from there.
While she originally wanted to write a novel (which is now working on), her career path has taken her into the world of journalism as a lifestyle columnist. She has written on everything from fashion week to wellness to racial equality.
In our time together, Elizabeth and I discuss how we can all be a part of the solution to the racial injustice we are seeing in the world.
I had the privilege of being interviewed by Elizabeth as a part of a recent piece she wrote in The Philadelphia Inquirer titled, “Race-based hate is out there, but it’s inside of us, too. Here is how to disrupt the pattern.” And I am honored to continue this important discussion with her today.
In this episode, we’ll explore:
- Elizabeth’s refreshing personal take on fashion and self-expression
- Her upbringing and what led her to this place as a journalist and writer
- Her feelings leading up to the George Floyd verdict and the trauma of everything that led us here
- The need to view all people in their entire humanity and the inequity of this currently and historically
- Acknowledging the Black experience and how to be an ally
- Being aware of where you have deficits and biases, and changing what you can in your thoughts and your life starting today
More from Elizabeth
Elizabeth’s body of work at The Philadelphia Inquirer: https://www.inquirer.com/author/wellington_elizabeth
More from Tricia
Consistently Share Your Big Idea with Secrets of The Big Talk
Download my FREE Ebook: 7 Step Formula for Fearless Speaking
Explore my content and follow me on YouTube
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Instagram
Connect with me on Facebook
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow The Big Talk on Twitter
Visit my website at TriciaBrouk.com
Click To Tweet
- I think at the heart of all of this—from the China virus to the death of George Floyd to Ahmaud Arbery to the murders that happened in Atlanta at the Korean Day Spa—is about not seeing people in their entire humanity. ~Elizabeth Wellington #sayhisname #stompouthate
- We’re all trying to defend our existence so that we can be treated equally and fairly. ~Elizabeth Wellington #equality #humanity